How To: Select a Backpack for the Camino de Santiago
The most frequent question for those planning to walk the Camino de Santiago in Spain is: What is the best backpack for the Camino? From size to fit to how you will carry your pack, selecting a backpack for the Camino is a balance of personal and practical considerations.
HOW TO CHOOSE A BACKPACK FOR THE CAMINO DE SANTIAGO
Before you select a pack, it’s best to understand how you intend to walk the Camino in Spain.
- Do you intend to carry your pack each day or will you ship your luggage ahead?
- Do you feel comfortable traveling with your back as checked luggage or does it need to be cabin luggage sized?
- What is your budget for purchasing the best backpack for the Camino?
One of the newer services available for pilgrims on the Camino de Santiago is luggage assistance, with several companies on each path to Santiago providing baggage transfer services for backpacks and suitcases for a fee. This may allow some pilgrims who lack the ability to carry all of their belongings to walk The Way. If you use a luggage service then you only need a pack large enough to carry items between stops; however, you will need to arrive exactly where your luggage is delivered (regardless of weather, your physical fitness or interesting diversions along the way.) I prefer to carry all of my belongings during the pilgrimage so that I have the flexibility to go at whatever pace I choose and stop along the way, so I do not have any experience using these services.
Another important factor involves airline baggage handling. It would be difficult for me to quickly replace all of my gear if my pack was lost, so I prefer a cabin-sized backpack. The carry-on size limits imposed by airlines is one of the biggest factors for me in selecting a backpack for the Camino.
Lastly, one’s budget is a highly personalized factor in selecting a backpack. Most backpack manufacturers sell their packs both direct and through stores (online and physical stores), so shop wisely and be aware of promotions that can offer significant savings.
HOW TO PROPERLY SIZE & FIT A BACKPACK
Today’s backpacks come in differing lengths and sizes – even gender-specific models – to ensure the most comfortable fit. Because of this, getting a properly sized backpack is key. My best advice for backpack fit is to be measured by a trained professional at a nearby outdoor retailer (such as Decathlon or REI). The proper gender-specific pack fit is dependent upon several factors that are difficult to measure at home including torso length and hip size. For more information, please see this online guide to backpack sizing and fit or any number of YouTube videos.
WHAT SIZE BACKPACK TO BUY FOR THE CAMINO DE SANTIAGO
Rucksacks for the Camino should be exactly the size you need and no bigger. “Extra space” in a backpack is quickly filled with “one more thing” that only adds weight to your pack. On the Camino, you will be walking from town to town so any items that were overlooked or needed can easily be purchased as needed.
Please see this page for a detailed list of what to pack to walk the Camino de Santiago.
Backpack capacities are marketed in liters (ex: 38L pack), although this measurement can vary by manufacturer. For example, some rucksacks from REI and others combine the capacity of all interior and exterior pockets while packs by Osprey and others count only the “main” compartment.
If you are carrying all your gear daily, most pilgrims will select a comfortable backpack that is 30L – 42L. It is uncommon to see large expedition backpacks (50L or greater) on the Camino, as you simply do not need camping gear along The Way.
MY CAMINO DE SANTIAGO BACKPACK
CLICK TO READ MY FULL OSPREY MANTA 34L REVIEW
I chose this highly-adjustable, great fitting backpack for a number of reasons:
- Meets cabin-baggage carry-on requirements for nearly all airlines worldwide
- Great accessible pockets (internal and external) for easily organizing gear
- Well-ventilated suspension transfers weight to the hips and allows airflow to keep your back cool
- Mesh exterior pockets for storing wet items separate from my clothes and gear
- Integrated rain cover and compression straps help to reduce total pack size
- Includes a water reservoir, which is my preferred way to stay hydrated and drink continually while walking
- Best-in-class Osprey lifetime warranty (a.k.a. “All Mighty Guarantee”)
I’ve used Osprey packs for years on the Florida Trail, Appalachian Trail and for other local hikes. While they are not the cheapest option, I know that I won’t be dealing with a broken pack harness or strap at the least opportune time.
ADDITIONAL CAMINO DE SANTIAGO RESOURCES
For additional information on how to plan for the Camino de Santiago, including packing lists, suggested routes and where to stop along the Camino, visit the Camino de Santiago resources section of this blog.
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE CAMINO DE SANTIAGO
- The Best Hiking Poles for the Camino de Santiago
- 2023 Packing List: My Recommended Gear for Walking the Camino de Santiago
- Online Compostela Requests for the Camino de Santiago
- THE CAMINO DE SANTIAGO TRAVEL GUIDE & MUST VISIT PLACES !
- Charging your Phone, Headphones, and Battery on the Camino de Santiago
- Where are the Apostles of Jesus Buried?
- Key Differences Between the Camino de Santiago and Via Francigena
- How Much Does it Cost to Walk the Camino de Santiago?
- How To: Train to Walk the Camino de Santiago
- A Beginner’s Guide to the Camino de Santiago
- CAMINO 101: HOW TO PREVENT BLISTERS HIKING THE CAMINO DE SANTIAGO
- CAMINO 101: The Pilgrim Routes on the Camino de Santiago
- Layering Ultralight Clothing for Pilgrimage Backpacking
- CAMINO 101: Five Mobile Phone Apps for Pilgrims Walking the Camino de Santiago
- CAMINO 101: Should you take a sleeping bag on the Camino de Santiago?
- CAMINO 101: The Pilgrim Passport
- CAMINO 101: 3-Month Training Plan for Walking the Camino De Santiago
- CAMINO 101: How many days to walk the Camino de Santiago?
- CAMINO 101: What is an Albergue and Where Do I Sleep on the Camino de Santiago?
- CAMINO 101: How to Sleep Comfortably on the Camino de Santiago
- CAMINO 101: How Much does it Cost to Walk the Camino de Santiago?
- PILGRIM RESOURCES FOR COVID-19
- 2021: Holy Jubilee Year for the Camino de Santiago
- Walking the Last 100KM of the Camino de Santiago
- The Top Hiking GPS Apps for iPhone and Android
- The Best Camino De Santiago Podcasts
- HOW TO: Follow Trail Markers and Trail Blazes in Europe
- Key Differences between the California Missions Trail and Camino de Santiago
- PACKING LIST: Trekking The World
- Review: Osprey Manta 34L Backpack
- PACKING LIST: Backpacking First-Aid Kit
- HOW TO: Make Your Own Camino Backpack Shell
- PACKING LIST: First-Aid Kit for Blisters and Foot Care
- HOW TO: Five Tips for Urban Hiking
- Recommended Apps and Maps for Camino de Santiago
- Where was “The Way” filmed along the Camino de Santiago?
- How To: Select a Backpack for the Camino de Santiago
- Why is the Scallop Shell the Symbol of the Camino de Santiago?
- How To: Sleep Peacefully on the Camino de Santiago
- Review: Sea to Summit Coolmax Adaptor Traveller Liner with Insect Shield
Buen Camino! Bom Caminho!
Husband. Father. Backpacker. Pilgrim. Author.
After years of section hiking the Florida Trail and Appalachian Trail, I set out in 2019 to complete the Camino de Santiago through Portugal and Spain. The experience changed the direction of my life and I’ve been walking in pilgrimage ever since. My recent journeys include the California Mission Walk and England’s Pilgrims’ Way from London to Canterbury. I’m currently walking sections of the Via Francigena through Europe to Rome.